The requirements for oversized vehicles using motor roads in Russia are defined by the Traffic Rules (RF TR) and the regulations of the Government of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation. When the vehicle exceeds the permissible values (in terms of height, width, length or weight), it shall be considered oversized.
As a rule, heavy and bulky cargo is considered oversized in the following two cases:
The total weight of the vehicle with load exceeds the parameters set by the manufacturer for a particular car or truck.
The overall size exceeds 1 m to the front or rear of the vehicle, or more than 0.4 m outwards measured from the outer edge of the marker light.
In addition to the above, road transportation is also regulated, and any vehicle with dimensions exceeding 2.55 m in width (2.6 m for refrigerators and isothermal bodies), 4 m in height above the roadway surface, 20 m in length (including one trailer), as well as protruding beyond the rear point of the dimensions of the vehicle by more than 2 m or as part of road trains with two or more trailers shall be considered an oversized vehicle. However, such transportation can be authorized with the agreement of the owner/concessioner of the road.
It is important to remember the following basic rules for transportation of oversized vehicles:
Transporting oversized cargo along toll roads is permitted only after obtaining a special permit and preliminary agreement from the owner of the road, for example State Company Avtodor or NWCC, regardless of the operator of the given section.
- Attention! Any transportation company that fails to show a special permit on request shall be liable to pay a fine of up to RUB 500,000 with the truck being transferred to the impoundment lot and the driving license being revoked for up to 6 months. For cargo that does not require a special permit, violation of the rules shall result in a fine of up to RUB 500.
- The heaviest cargo shall be located at the bottom of the truck to keep it stable when moving. The spaces between the loaded cargo shall be filled.
Oversized cargo shall be securely attached, and its integrity checked at regular intervals. It is prohibited to continue transportation in the event of a technical malfunction that poses a risk to traffic safety if the cargo shifts, or if fastenings are loosened, until these hazards have been eliminated.
- Attention! Transportation is also prohibited in conditions of ice, snow, or meteorological visibility of less than 100 m.
Trucks or columns shall be equipped with a special oversized cargo sign in the form of a 400×400 mm plate with diagonal red and white alternating strips 50 mm wide.
- Attention! The sign is made of retroreflective materials!
- The velocity for transport carrying such cargo shall be agreed in advance; these parameters cannot be exceeded.
- Where the cargo parameters are 24–30 m in length and 3.5–4 m in width, the carrier shall provide an escort.
- The driver shall follow the declared transportation route.
- At the toll plaza, only open lanes marked with green arrows can be used. In this case, the transportation of oversized cargo shall be carried out strictly on the right lane. Where the carrier is not sure about the dimensions of the trailer, the lane for oversized transport shall be used to be safe.
In addition, it shall be ensured that transported cargo:
- Shall not restrict view
- Shall not make it difficult to drive and shall not break the vehicle composure
- Shall not cover external lights and retroreflectors, registration plates or identification marks
- Shall not interfere with the perception of hand signals
- Shall not create noise or dust, and shall not pollute the road or the environment